One of my trades is earnings play using Short Strangle strategy with IV Rank.
During the earnings reporting season, there are always uncertainty to the stocks that going to announce their results. Regardless the earnings results - within expectations or surprises - the implied volatility and IVR most likely will go up each day due to uncertainty right before the announcement. What we can do is to
1) scan stocks with high IVR one trading day before the earnings announcement. I usually look for the stock with IVR 70 or above.
2) ensure the IVR crushed dramatically right after announcement in the last few quarters.
3) only select stock with high liquidity.
4) no dividend or the dividend will be given around 20 days or more after earnings so that I have enough time to BTC (buy to close) the strangle.
5) check the historical gap up / gap down. Then setup the width of strangle wide enough to avoid potentially tested and try to get at least USD100 premium from this strategy.
6) close the position right after announcement when IVR crushing down. Ideally getting 30 to 50% from max profit.